Friday, June 19, 2009

Last Day of School

Yesterday was Jaylin's last day of school. Monday I bought in Applebee's for Jaylin and his teachers to thank them for all they've done this year. This year was a huge transition for him. There is not a program at the junior high that he fits into. There always has been before. He's a middle functioning kid and theres only high or low functioning classrooms. There were a lot more expectations of him this year. It was rocky for awhile but he's been doing well. He's really grown this year and I'm proud of him. We were very lucky that he had Miss W again this year. I don't think he would have transitioned as well as he did without her. She knows him well and was able to guide him but also teach his new team about him. Right now we are not sure what next year is going to hold for him. I nervous about it, kinda crossing my fingers that we get Miss W again. If we do then all my worries will go away but if we don't he's in a new classroom, new TA, and I don't think the staff will work with him on controlling his behaviors as much as they have this year.

Now Jaylin is on break until July 6th when he starts summer school. Poor kid doesn't realize other kids get the whole summer off, he has gone to school year round since he was 2 years old. It's great for him, I couldn't imagine how September would be if he didn't go to summer school. I found out he is going to be in the same classroom as he was last summer. He did really well in that classroom so that takes some stress away.

4 comments:

The Svoboda Family said...

Did you seriously bring in Applebee's for all Jaylin's teachers?! You crazy woman! If I ever get "back" into teaching I certainly wish I get a lot of Mommy's like you!
Congratulations Jaylin on a great year!

D said...

Hi Jess! I'm actually going to be at the Jr. High this summer....I got a job teaching summer school! I look forward to seeing Jaylin in the hallways, etc. Have a good week off from school!

Jessica O'Donnell said...

Yes I brought in Applebee's for Jaylin's teachers. He has a teacher and 3 TA's in the room (one being his 1:1). I grabbed lunch for myself and Jaylin as well. They've done a lot for Jaylin so the least I can do is buy them lunch. My grandma raised me to appreciate the important people in our lives all year long not just on special days so that was one of the things we did for them.

Jessica O'Donnell said...

I'm glad to hear you will be at the jr high this summer. Jaylin will love seeing you. I just got his info today. He's in Rm 113. I thought they started on 6th but now know its the 8th. I still have work until the 25th. Then I start my new job on July 6th.